There is nothing quite like coming up over the crest of a ridge or around a corner to find an expansive view of the mountains beyond. The Smokies are full of such views and even after seeing them countless times, many still leave me with a moment of awe. You know what I mean – layers of mountains arrayed in blues, mingled with clouds, sunny skies or offering a wonderful sunset. Regardless of the time of year, they offer something special. So let’s talk about ‘em!
I’ve chosen three such views to focus on but before digging in let’s list a few that may seem familiar and are worth consideration. BTW, all of the locations are available in SmokiesTravelHub by name and their tabs provide descriptions, details and mapping to each destination.
- Gatlinburg Overlook #1 – Gatlinburg Bypass
- Gatlinburg Overlook #2 – Gatlinburg Bypass (I prefer this spot, of the two)
- Rich Mountain Road-Cades Cove – coming one way out of Cades Cove this overlook is by far the best view of the Cove
- Look Rock and the left sided pull-offs leading up to it
- Newfound Gap and pull-offs on the way up the mountain